Wednesday, July 20, 2011

An older man hit me and I hit him back, can I press charges?

I'm trying to find out something for my husband, it has quite a bit of detail. He's working down in south texas and staying at an RV park, no contract was signed so I guess he's considered an "at-will renter"? (That's what the sheriff said). Anyway, my husband Jake was a week and half late on payments (payments are 350 a week) because he went home to his grandmothers funeral last week and just got back a few nights ago, he got his check today and planned on paying the owner/manager Lee today. But when he got to the RV park the trailer he was renting was unplugged and moved against the fence, and the $4000 beveling machine that belongs to Jake's boss was gone. Extremely mad he went to the office and asked Lee what the hell was goin on and where was the beveling machine and Lee said you didn't pay so I moved the trailer, and I gave the beveling machine away to another welder. Well Jake started yellin at the old man (somewhere around 65-70?) and he punched Jake in the eye, and Jake hit him back then someone got between them and Lee called the cops. The Sheriff said he can't press charges on Lee because since he's a senior Jake would get aggravated assault. And he said it is legal for him to have given away Jake's boss's beveling machine because he's and at-will renter. However up to this point there was never a reminder notice or a warning note on the door, Jake told him last week he had to go home for his grandmothers funeral and that when he got a check he would pay him, that was the last thing said. Somebody please tell me if there is anything he can do? Surely it was not legal for him to give away a third party's private property?!

No comments:

Post a Comment